Wednesday 22 August 2012

Proof Is In Eating The Pudding -Or Maybe Not?


A while ago I teamed up with a Health Adviser colleague to jointly build a weight loss programme for groups using both cognitive & physical training and hypnosis to boost the unconscious effort.

Our programme outline is now ready and we are launching the programme  in October. But, how successful would our programme be without us first walking the talk?
Therefore, we are walking, both metaphorically and physically!

To kick off the process I had my weight and fat %, metabolic rate & age and so on measured for the first time in 20 years, as until now, I have been avoiding scales for the fear of what I might find out and how I'd feel about it. Does this sound familiar?

I had an idea on some level what I would weigh and was surprised to find out that I was only couple of kilograms off my estimate when I got the result. Isn't it fascinating how the unconscious mind knows about these things even if I had consciously decided to ignore and avoid the scales!

Well, one thing is for sure; I certainly got a confirmation that I have a lot of work to do with reducing my weight to get to where I want to be in the next few weeks.

My weight has slowly crept up over the years, but I am not alone in this situation. The fact is that 25% of women and 20% of men in the UK are now classified as obese and even 10% of the 6 year olds. This compares with 1980 when only 8% of women and 6% of men were classified as obese. 

The cost of obesity in UK economy is a massive £2.6 billion per annum.

As for how I feel about finding the facts about my current weight and my metabolic age? Well, let’s put it this way;  if I had nothing to work on, I would not necessarily have the reason or drive to help others with issues relating to their weight. I would not have the motivation to put my best effort in work to generate a programme that really works!

Irving Kirsch carried out a research on Hypnosis and Weight Loss in 1996. The research on Hypnotic enhancement of cognitive-behavioural weight loss treatments (Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 64 (3), 517-519) identified that;

"Average across post treatment and follow-up assessment periods, the mean weight loss was 6.00lb (2.72kg) without hypnosis and 11.83 lbs. (5.37kg) with hypnosis.

At the last assessment period, the mean weight loss was 6.03lbs (2.74kg) without hypnosis and 14.88 lbs. (6.75kg) with hypnosis. Correlational analyses indicated that the benefits of hypnosis increased substantially over time."

There is clear evidence that use of hypnosis is beneficial for weight loss, it will make it easier and you can lose twice as much weight with hypnosis than without.

A client of mine, who I worked with in one-to-one sessions to help her meet her goal of losing weight, contacted me after the final session and said:

" Thank you for working with me over the last few weeks. I have now started to see and feel some real changes in lifelong bad habits. I can't thank you enough for taking me on this journey, and look forward to using the self -hypnosis techniques I learned to make more and more changes."
Encouraged by the results of the study, personal experience in helping people in one-to-one sessions and a new holistic programme comprising of cognitive understanding and re-education, physical training and hypnosis to make some real  and permanent changes, I am looking forward to my soon-to-be leaner and healthier body.

So, the proof of the effectives of our weight loss programme is in the walking the talk and not in eating the pudding!

And the walk has just started.  Watch this space; I will be sharing the progress regularly in this blog starting in September.

Individual hypnotherapy sessions outside the programme for weight loss are available at Harley Street in London. Contact teija.barr@enablepotential.com for details or call on +44 (0)20 7193 9981.